Let Leaping Dogs Fly

Woman, mother, scientist, wife, human. I post occasionally about any and all of these things. Whatever strikes my fancy.

Monday, November 07, 2005

I'm waiting....

Dear Internet,

where is the instant fame and glory I was promised for starting this blog? I've been up and running for at least 5 days now, and what do I get? Nada. I saw what you did for Pets.com stock values back in 1999, and I have to say that I'm at least as novel as they were. I am even skilled enough to create a cheesy sock-puppet mascot and offer free shipping on 50lb. bags of dog food, should you demand it of me. I daresay all these other upstarts can't say the same. Do I have to prove myself to you, internet, by casually mentioning that my Yahoo! mail account dates back to 1997? That I used to play text-only MUDs on my 2800-baud modem? It's true I haven't kept up with your latest gewgaws but I was there for you, Internet! I stuck around in 1993 after I tried to send that photo by email even though it couldn't be done yet! I found a job online before they even invented Monster.com! Do I have to mention how much love I have for Craigslist? I didn't think so. So c'mon, internet, cough up what you owe me before I start with the real threats. You know how much you hate it when I stay out all night watching PBS...

Muchas smuchas, internet,

S

5 Comments:

  • At 11/08/2005 12:03:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Sarah,
    Thanks for your letter! We are sorry to have missed out on your first few days - as you might imagine, things have been super busy here at internet headquarters! Please do not take it personally! We think you are just swell and wish you all the best in the bloggy wonderland!

    Best,
    the internet

    ps come on, I do not fall off my bike that much - t.i.

     
  • At 11/08/2005 11:35:00 AM, Blogger setagel said…

    personal to t.i. - yes you do fall off your bike that much! Even your wife is talking about it, which means it's probably worse than what you've let on.

     
  • At 11/08/2005 02:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sinatra to Martin: "Tell me something, do you fall in the street a lot?"

    Martin: "It's the only time I get any rest, Frank."

     
  • At 11/09/2005 12:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Internet, shminternet! Do you recall your dad's love of computers, starting with an Apple product when you were but 3 years old? A fancy upgrade to that machine was a 5 1/4 floppy drive holding an ASTOUNDING 100K, give or take. I so enjoyed the drive I bought a second, and was truly in heaven! When we worked with Holly and Rick (remember Hillary and Vanessa?) to put together a "Computer Day" at the high school, I sent copy for the program handout to the printer at 300 baud. 2800 baud would have seemed a true whirlwind. And that very same Apple provided a base for one of your science fair projects. So perhaps this is from whence your enchantment with this beguileing electronic medium doth arise?? (no grammatical comments, please).

    I am a little surprised that your Eastern uncle has not risen to the occasion yet, to provide a comment or two, as the humor you use in several of your entries should attract his attention.

     
  • At 11/09/2005 02:41:00 PM, Blogger setagel said…

    Heck, I remember the cassette tape drive we used to run, and that great little audio program that played a loop of a sound that was supposed to be a light saber swooshing through the air... And who could forget the Whumpus! game, or Oregon Trail, or Lemonade Stand? All text based, of course, not the newfangled versions out now. I still can't believe you kicked our little sub-1000 serial-number Apple IIc out to the curb (when there was no such thing as a nostalgia market for them). I got a first-place ribbon at the 7th grade science fair for the program I wrote about the periodic table...

    I guess I really am a geek.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home